Monday, February 8, 2010

Home Sweet Österreich

An unusual thing happened on our trip to Ireland. I found myself getting a bit homesick for Austria. Quite strange and unbelievable really considering we had a great time in Ireland and I had no reason at all to feel homesick. We were treated to the best there is in Irish hospitality and had our own personal tour guide, John, who showed us both the top tourist attractions (Guinness Storehouse) and the top off-the beaten-path attractions (Black Fort). You can read all about our adventure in Michael's blog.

Despite all the fun, by the time we were done traveling, I found myself really looking forward to coming back to Austria. It might seem strange finding comfort in a land where they don't speak English and where I'm often confused by cultural customs, but throughout the last five or so months, it's become more like a home and less like the intimidating strange place it once was. We've really settled in and embraced the challenges and discomfort. At least I've tried to accept the fact that I'm going to feel a little uncomfortable pretty much all the time. I don't want to stay here forever, but I think it's important to reflect on our experiences every now and then so I don't lose sight of how lucky I am to actually be here in the first place.

Speaking of reflecting, at this moment I'm also toying with the idea of eating the last of three Krapfen I picked up after school today. They're small so it's ok. I really should save it for Michael, but his eyes are closed at the moment. Hmm.... What would you do?


And on an unrelated note, our microwave is starting to blow up. Seriously, sparks are starting to fly. We have to turn it off completely before the time runs out, otherwise we get a fireworks display in the microwave. Definitely not safe, but I think we have it under control.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela
    Do you remember the time you put the metal pan in the microwave in Fargo? Maybe that is you problem. Mom's not there to say "no, no, no!"
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete